Frequently asked questions about Canada


How to study in Canada?

Questions about studying in Canada, admission requirements, visa and program benefits.


How to work in Canada?

Questions about the job market and how to prepare how to apply for a job in Canada.


How to immigrate to Canada?

Questions about immigration programs, eligibility criteria and visa processes for Canada.


What do I need before arriving in Canada?

Frequently asked questions from just arrived in Canada and need to take your first steps.

Study in Canada

It depends. For example, you can study English or French during your first 6 months, or for the stay determined by the immigration officer, in Canada on a visitor’s visa. However, to study for more than 6 months, study after the first period of stay in Canada or study at Colleges, Universities and Schools from Elementary to High School, you must have a Study Permit.

While a study permit authorizes international students to pursue their studies while in Canada, a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) allows a person to enter Canada. Depending on the country of citizenship, an international student may need a TRV to enter.

For applications abroad, applicants from countries whose citizens require the TRV to enter Canada will automatically receive a TRV if their study permit application is approved. These applicants do not need to file a separate application for a TRV and there is no separate fee. The same applies to applicants from countries whose citizens need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to enter Canada by air.

The applicant is not required to obtain a study permit for a program, which is less than six months in duration. However, if the course lasts longer than six months, the prospective student will need to apply for a study permit.

There are benefits to applying for a study permit, even if you are applying for a program that lasts less than six months. Even if you don’t need a student visa, it can be beneficial to apply for one. In the event that you decide to continue studying in a new program after completing your short-term studies, without a study permit, you may be required to leave the country and apply through a Canadian visa office outside Canada. To apply for a license for a short course or program, your studies must be at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI).

A Designated Learning Institution (DLI) is a school that admits international students.

A letter of acceptance from a DLI is essential to obtain a Canadian Study Permit.

All primary and secondary schools in Canada are DLIs. Post-secondary schools must receive permission from the provincial government to accept international students.

If you wish to come to Canada to study at the post-secondary level, please make sure your school and program of study are on this list of Canadian DLIs.

If you want to stay in Canada after graduating, be sure to select a DLI that will allow you to qualify for a Graduate Work Permit (PGWP).

You can consult the official list on the Canadian government website by clicking here.

Schools usually test students on the first day of class, through a written test and an interview. The assessment result determines the entry level. There are some schools that provide unofficial English tests on their websites, these tests are used to get a rough idea of how that school will assess your fluency level and help you plan your studies.

Yes, as long as you are studying a post-secondary technical program, an undergraduate or graduate degree.

From the moment you are enrolled, your child (from 5 to 17 years old) will be entitled to free public education if they are of school age.

Remembering that this applies to compulsory education only, that is, in the case of enrollment in day care centers (day care), which is the period in which education is not mandatory, a monthly fee is required, regardless of the type of course chosen by the parents.

A point to note is that the rules and documents for accepting the child in school will depend on each School Board.

As a rule, certificate courses or private colleges do not entitle children to study in public schools (do not confuse however with the graduate certificate which is a postgraduate degree – see differences).

It depends. The first thing to consider is whether you will need to apply for a visa and study permit, as this process can take a few months.

Another important point is that depending on the course and college you are interested in, vacancies can fill up quickly, often up to a year before the start date of classes.

Therefore, we recommend that you apply as soon as possible, but at least 6 months in advance if you need a visa or study permit.

An international student may be eligible to work while studying in Canada. The student must have a valid study permit and be enrolled full-time at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI). Study permit holders may work up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions and full-time during scheduled breaks. To work “on campus”, a student must meet the following criteria listed on this page.

To work “off-campus”, a study permit must be authorized for off-campus work by a visa officer. If you are enrolled in a full-time academic, professional or vocational training program at a designated educational institution, you may be eligible to work “off-campus” without a work permit. However, it must be printed on the study permit that you are allowed to work off-campus.

An international student must stop working on the day he or she no longer meets the eligibility requirements. There is an important exemption to this regulation: students enrolled in an English as a Second Language (ESL) or French as a Second Language (FSL) program are not allowed to work with a study permit.

If you have a study permit and are enrolled in a public college, your partner can apply for a work permit and thus work in Canada on a full-time basis with a so-called open work visa.

Yes, you can change schools and courses after you start your studies, however you must inform the government that you have changed schools.

Yes. In Canada the “student visa” is the study permit and you can renew it while in Canada. It is extremely important that you renew your permit before it expires. The visa is the document that allows you to enter the country, so it is necessary to get a new visa if you intend to leave and return to Canada. If you are applying for a visa from within Canada, you can get an eTA.

Remembering that in Canada the “student visa” is the study permit and yes, you can apply for the permit from within Canada.

It is possible to switch from a visitor visa to a Study Permit without leaving Canada if you are studying on a Pathway course and have a letter of acceptance from a College.

If you do not fit in this case, you can apply for a visa from within Canada, however you will have to leave the country, pick up your permit at the border and return as a student.

In general, there will be no problems as long as your study permits you not to go more than 90 days without studying, which is the maximum time allowed by Canadian immigration. It is also important to check that the course you are going to take starts within these 90 days allowed.

If you are in Canada on a student visa, to maintain your status you must be studying full-time. If you withdraw from your course and do not enroll in another course, you will be “out of status”, meaning you will not be able to stay in Canada as a student. If you are studying on a tourist visa there is no problem.

Colleges do not always know what the obligations of international students are, so it is very important that you inform yourself about your obligations as an international student. It is important to note that only full-time students are allowed to work inside or outside the school.

Scholarships may be available to international students from private, government or public institutions in Canada. Scholarships may be available for international students from the institution of study of their choice.

Canadian immigration policy offers international students many ways to stay and settle in the country after graduation. A popular option available to international students after graduation is the possibility of an open work permit under the Graduate Work Permit Program (PGWP). Under the PGWP, an individual who has studied full-time at a participating Designated Learning Institution (DLI) may be eligible to apply for a PGWP.

Gaining work experience in Canada after graduation can help you qualify for permanent residency in Canada through a variety of available immigration programs. For more information on the PGWP eligibility criteria, please visit this page. Generally, if a PGWP is issued, it is for the same duration as the candidate’s studies for a minimum of eight months and a maximum of three years.

work in canada

Do not. Applicants may still qualify for a Canada Immigration Visa (Permanent Resident) without a Canadian job offer. However, Canadian employers play a greater role in Canadian immigration under the federal Express Entry immigration screening system than they did before, meaning that for many applicants, getting a valid Canadian job offer significantly increases their chances of being invited to apply for Canadian permanent residency.

Express Entry candidates have the opportunity to increase their chances of being invited to apply by promoting themselves directly to employers.

Applicants should note that the Quebec Skilled Worker category of immigration and some of the Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs) do not require a Canadian job offer to qualify.

A job offer is a genuine offer of employment from a legitimate Canadian employer.

Yes. There are essentially two types of job offers that a Canadian employer can make:

A temporary job offer is a Canadian job offer that is made for a specific period of time – six months, one year, etc… Individuals can only begin work, in most cases, after receiving a Temporary Work Permit.

A permanent job offer is a Canadian job offer for an indefinite period of time. Individuals can only start work after receiving a Canada Immigration Visa.

Yes. Individuals may apply for a Temporary Work Permit on their own or in combination with a Canada Immigration Visa application. Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC, formerly CIC) recognizes the concept of “dual intent” whereby an applicant wants to work in Canada temporarily and subsequently reside and work in Canada permanently.

Under Express Entry, candidates who are successful in securing a job offer supported by a Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) receive an additional 50 or 200 points in the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS), depending on the position offered. 

While this CRS points bonus does not guarantee that the candidate will be invited to apply for permanent residency in Canada, the fact that he or she has obtained a qualifying job offer means that he or she is more likely to receive an Invitation to Apply ( ITA) for permanent residency in a later pool draw, streamlining the immigration process.

There are significant benefits to getting a temporary job offer in Canada:

  • A job offer is the starting point for obtaining a Temporary Work Permit.
  • Coming to Canada with a work permit is the fastest way to enter Canada and work.

The Work Permit application process can usually be completed in a matter of days or weeks.
The Canadian employer of a Canada Work Permit holder may offer the individual full-time permanent employment of indefinite duration and the new job offer will be considered an arranged employment in Canada under the Federal Skilled Worker Class.

Do not. Once in Canada, there are many rewarding job opportunities available. Each day in Canada, more than 50,000 job vacancies go unfilled. Getting a job offer from outside Canada is a bigger challenge, but it can certainly be achieved with a little perseverance, especially with the tools and guidance our Canadian law firm offers. Many Canadian employers have a high demand for skilled workers and professionals. There is no reason why a candidate from outside Canada cannot be part of your solution.

Canada Job Bank is an online job search engine across Canada that helps match candidates with Canadian employers and jobs based on their skills, knowledge and experience. In Express Entry, candidates can register with the Job Bank. As of June 6, 2017, registration with the Employment Bank is no longer required for applicants who do not already have a Canadian job offer or a Provincial/Territorial nomination. However, it is recommended that they do so in order to increase their visibility to Canadian employers.

If the Express Entry candidate decides to apply for a job opportunity, the beneficiary employer must go through their usual interview or assessment process. If the employer finds that the Express Entry candidate meets their needs and he is eligible to hire an alien, he can offer him a job.

Work visas or Work Permits are known as work permits in Canada. A work permit is a document issued by Canadian government officials that allows a foreign individual to work in a specific job for a specific employer.

Canadian immigration regulations define “work” as an activity for which remuneration is earned or that competes directly with the activities of Canadian citizens or permanent residents in the Canadian labor market.

Generally, individuals who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents need a valid work permit to work in Canada. However, foreign workers can do some work in Canada without a work permit.

As a general rule, the first step is to obtain a valid job offer from a Canadian employer. Open work permits are the exception and do not require a prior job offer.

Open work permits may be available to the common law spouses/partners of certain work permit holders, the common law spouses/partners of foreign students in Canada, asylum seekers, sponsored family members on land and students in need in Canada.

Most work permit applications are processed and issued in a matter of days or weeks, depending on whether or not a medical examination is required and the workload of the specific visa office to which the application has been submitted.

The duration of a work permit depends entirely on the nature of work in Canada and the category of work permit for which the applicant has applied. Work permits can be extended from within Canada, but some work permits have a maximum duration.

Separate and apart from the work permit, the applicant will need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) unless the applicant is from one of the following visa-exempt countries. In most cases, citizens of visa-exempt countries must obtain an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to enter Canada.

Applicants must apply for a TRV at the Canadian visa office responsible for their country of citizenship or the country in which they were legally admitted. Application for an eTA is usually submitted online, although a paper application process is available.

As a general rule, work permits apply to a specific employer. If an individual changes employer, he or she must apply for a new work permit. Only workers admitted to Canada with an open work permit can change employers without reapplying.

Open work permits are the exception and may be available to the common law spouses/partners of certain work permit holders, the common law spouses/partners of foreign students in Canada, asylum seekers, sponsored family members on land and underprivileged students in Canada.

Yes, a spouse/partner and dependent children can accompany or follow a temporary worker to Canada. In many cases, people entering Canada with a work permit can apply for an open work permit to be issued to their spouse/partner. In some cases, children may require a study permit to attend school in Canada.

Immigration Consulting

Visa and eTA are documents that allow entry to Canada. Permits (which can be for study or work) are documents issued to determine the time for which you can study and/or work in Canada. Status is your status in Canada, which can be: visitor, student, worker, no status (illegal) or implied (while you wait for the application for a new permit or visitor record to be reviewed).

Since May 2017, Brazilians, who during the last 10 years have been to Canada at least once and/or have a valid US visa, can apply for the eTA (a type of electronic visa that allows entry into the country as a visitor. Applying for the eTA is very simple, takes just a few minutes and costs only CAD$7.00.

To obtain a visa it is necessary to fulfill a series of requirements and the medical examination is one of them. In the case of people who are coming to visit or study for up to 24 weeks, immigration does not require a medical examination to be carried out. For courses over 24 weeks, it is required however.

The Canadian immigration system is based on a points system. Studying at a Canadian institution and having Canadian work experience earns you a lot of points. For those who don’t have enough scores to immigrate, either because of their level of education, English or age, studying here may be the only option to get the remaining points.

Nowadays, Brazilians who have come to Canada in the last 10 years or have a valid US visa can obtain an electronic visa (eTA), which is issued immediately. If you do not fit into this situation and you have a European passport, you can apply for an electronic visa (eTA) with your passport. Regarding the immigration process, the system does not classify applicants by their nationality, so having a European passport will not facilitate or speed up your application.

Express Entry is a program used to manage how people with qualified work experience apply to Canada. The Canadian government chooses qualified immigrants as permanent residents based on their ability to settle in the country and participate in its economy.

The Express Entry system covers Canada’s economic immigration programs such as the Federal Skilled Worker Program, the Federal Skilled Trades Program, the Canadian Experience Class and a part of the Provincial Nominee Program. The latter is used by provinces and territories to recruit Express Entry candidates according to the needs of the local labor market. Importantly, no one can apply directly to any of these programs unless the government submits an ITA (Invitation to Candidature).

Candidates can earn an ITA if they score 433 or more points in the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS). This score changes depending on government requirements. Once you get the required score, the government shows you which express entry program you can apply to to become a permanent resident. It is also important to mention that applicants who obtain an ITA will benefit from a fast processing time of six months or less.

Express entry changes

The Canadian government has made some changes to the express entry system. Candidates can now earn additional points for having at least one Canadian resident brother or sister who is a citizen or permanent resident. He or she must be at least 18 years old, have one parent in common, and be a relative by blood, marriage, common-law marriage, or adoption.

In addition, candidates can also get additional points for having strong French skills. If candidates score NCLC 7 (Niveaux de Compétence Linguistique Canadiens) or better in all four French language skills (listening, speaking, reading and writing) and Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) with a score of 4 or less in English, they will get 15 additional points. However, if candidates score NCLC 7 or better in all four French language skills and CLB 5 or better in all four English skills, they will receive an additional 30 points.

There are new chances to get more points to apply for permanent residency in Canada! You may need the opinion of a professional in the field. Our immigration consultants are ICCRC certified.

According to the Canadian government, there are two steps to applying to the Express Entry system and obtaining permanent residency:

  1. Create an online express entry profile.
  2. Receive an invitation to sign up.

The latter is based on the Comprehensive Classification System. Applicants should consider that the Express Application profile is valid for 12 months, and the Invitation to Apply is valid for 90 days. During this time, applicants will need to update their profile if circumstances change, such as their education level or language test results.

Increase your chances of success in this process with the help of a consultant to guide you through the complete express application form.

The Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) is a points-based system used by the government to assess and score candidate profiles.

Candidates are ranked in the Express Entry Pool, and the highest scores can obtain an ITA to immigrate as a permanent resident to Canada. According to Immigration Canada (IRCC), the total number of points awarded by CRS is 1,200 points in four divisions:

The main human capital factors establish a maximum of 500 points if the candidate does not have a spouse or partner and 460 points if they have an accompanying spouse or partner.

  • For skill transfer factors, candidates can score up to 100 points.
  • For factors of the accompanying spouse or common-law partner, candidates can score a maximum of 40 points.
  • For additional factors (such as Canadian education degrees, valid job offer, provincial nomination, siblings living in Canada, and strong French skills), applicants can earn up to 600 points.

Applicants should know that they can increase their CRS score to a higher score by improving any of these conditions (a better job offer, more education or language proficiency).

While it is essential to understand the Express Entry application steps in Canada, we know that it can be overwhelming and confusing to navigate this process without the help of a certified immigration advisor.

Language is an essential factor in the Express Application process as candidates can earn up to 160 points according to their abilities. Fluent English and French speakers can maximize their points potential upon entering the pool. Candidates who score low on the language test results should consider preparing to retake the test.

Any improvement in any of the four skills (speaking, writing, reading, and listening) can bring a higher Comprehensive Grading System (CRS) rating score. If a candidate has an adequate intermediate level of English in all four skills, such as CLB7 or IELTS 6, they can score 68 points out of 136 points on the CRS. However, if a candidate has an advanced level (CLB10+, TEF 393-415+) in all four skills, they can score 136 points, the highest score in the first official language.

It is crucial to establish the importance of combinations between English and French. For example, if a candidate has an adequate intermediate level of English and French in all four skills, they can score 80 points on the CRS.

However, if a candidate has an advanced level of English and an adequate intermediate level of French, he can score 148 points out of 160 points. An important fact is that any candidate, regardless of their origin, even being English or French, has to take a test to know their language level and be evaluated impartially.

Candidates with a higher level of education increase their chances of getting more points. Therefore, it is important to have a teaching book that is fully updated and evaluated in the profile of all levels of education, not just the highest. Canadian degrees, diplomas, certificates and any additional education are also ways to earn more points in the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS).

Applicants who have studied outside of Canada must prove their level of education through an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA). They should keep in mind that Canadian equivalences may vary from one credential to another. The CRS gives more points for multiple credentials, and they are also helpful in becoming eligible for a Provincial Nominee Program (PNP). It is also essential that applicants have all the information they need because PNP express entry categories often open and close within days or hours.

If a candidate has a high school diploma, he can only get 30 points out of 150 points on the CRS. However, if the candidate has a master’s degree or professional diploma practice ticket, he can earn up to 135 points on the CRS. Another way to get more points is to join the pool in the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) program.

Candidates can earn up to 200 points by assessing their educational levels in Canada. Within them, 150 points come from human capital and 50 points come from language ability and Canadian work experience. If you are a CEC candidate, you must obtain an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) to increase your chances of being eligible. If you don’t know how to do it, Immigration Pros can advise you on the various options and solutions.

A person can be a sponsor if they are at least 18 years old and are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada. Sponsors who are permanent residents must live in Canada. Canadian citizens living outside this country must show that they will be living in Canada when their sponsored relatives become permanent residents.

The sponsor must have enough income for his/her basic needs and also for the sponsored person. In addition, sponsors must prove that they are not receiving social assistance, except for reasons of disability.

According to Immigration Canada (IRCC), during 2019, 91,311 applicants were admitted as permanent residents in this category. The Sponsored Family has four different programs, Sponsored Spouse or Partner, Sponsored Children, Sponsored Parents or Grandparents, Sponsored Extended Family Member, and Sponsored Family Member H&C Consideration.

The IRCC detailed that applicants with a spouse can improve their CRS score through the spouse’s skills, such as Canadian work experience, language ability, or level of education. In fact, applicants can get up to 40 points due to spousal factors.

These include 20 points for language skills, 10 points for Canadian work experience and 10 points for education. For the Spouse or Partner Sponsorship Program, all applicants, both in Canada and abroad, can use the same application package and checklist.

Work experience and strong language skills can result in more points for a Permanent Residency applicant. If they obtain a Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) with a score of 9 or more, and if the candidate has only one or two years of work experience outside of Canada, he or she can score 25 points.

However, if the same candidate has three years of experience instead of two, he can earn an additional 25 points. Also, if the candidate has previously worked in Canada, their options are greater because points can be earned for up to five years of experience and because this factor is valued on its own, not just in combination with other elements.

In fact, if a candidate has Canadian work experience, they can score up to 80 points on CRS. It is also essential that candidates update their profile with any work experience as it can be valuable for a Provincial Candidate Program (PNP) category.

Applicants should keep in mind that cities like Ontario face a shortage of human capital in the technology sector. This city requires people with work experience in careers such as Telecommunications Operators Managers, Computers and Information Systems Managers, Electrical and Electronics Engineers and Computer Engineers. Applicants with work experience in Information and Communication Technology (ICT) occupations may be eligible to receive a Notification of Interest which may become an Invitation to Candidate (ITA) for a provincial nomination, even if they have scored less than 400 on the CRS .

This will depend on the immigration program chosen. In the case of Express Entry, if the candidate for permanent residency is between 20 and 29 years old and does not have a spouse or partner, he/she can obtain up to 110 points in the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS). This is the highest score a candidate can obtain in this category. However, if the candidate is between this age group and has a spouse or partner, he/she can obtain a maximum of 100 points.

Applicants should know that if they are under 20 and over 29, they will gradually lose points. Applicant age counts 12 percent of the general selection criteria for the Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) selection grid.

While candidates may lose points if their age is not between 20 and 29, they should remember that they can earn points for other factors, such as a job offer or language skills. For example, if an applicant is 40 years old and has no accompanying spouse or partner, he or she can score up to 45 points. Instead, if the candidate is 30 years old, he can get up to 95 points for the “human capital factors” section.

Canada is looking for young immigrants who can be part of its economy and fill vacancies that Canadian citizens or permanent residents cannot. There are specific careers or occupations required according to the market needs of each province.

There are several opportunities to come to Canada. Neway for you has the experience to evaluate you and find the best option!

Yes, many of them where age may not be relevant.

Federal Skilled Worker Program

The Federal Skilled Worker Program is an express entry program used by the government to choose candidates as permanent residents based on their work experience, education, knowledge of English and/or French, and other factors that allow them to establish themselves economically in Canada.

A candidate applying for this program can live in any Canadian province or territory except Quebec because it has its own skilled worker selection program. In 2018, 74,900 applicants were granted permanent residency as skilled workers, and in 2019, 81,400 applicants became permanent residents due to this program.

The Canadian government assesses a candidate based on six selection factors: education, language skills, age, experience, employment in Canada and adaptability, but prior to this assessment, the candidate must meet three minimum requirements. An applicant needs a score of at least 67 points to qualify as a federal skilled worker.

Minimum requirements of the federal skilled worker program

The first minimum requirement is work experience. Must be voluntary, paid and in the same type of job as per the primary National Occupational Classification (NOC) for at least one year in the last ten years. According to Immigration Canada (IRCC), the NOC is a system that classifies jobs or occupations based on the type of work or work obligations a person performs. It is important to know that the candidate must complete at least 1,560 hours, whether full-time, part-time or full-time in more than one job. Candidates can earn up to 15 points according to the number of years of full-time paid work.

The second minimum requirement is language ability. The candidate must take a test and obtain a minimum score of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 7 in all four skills for English or Niveaux de Compétence Linguistique Canadien (NCLC) 7 for French, which means an adequate intermediate level. An important fact is that any candidate can get up to 28 points if they get CLB 9 in English and at least CLB 5 in all four French skills. Test results must be no more than two years old on the day the candidate applies for permanent residency, and all of this information must be included in the Express Application Profile.

The third minimum requirement is education. People who went to school in Canada must have a certificate, diploma or diploma from a Canadian high school or post-secondary school. Meanwhile, people who have a foreign education must have an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report from an approved agency to show that their foreign education is equal to their Canadian education. Applicants with a university degree at Doctoral (PhD) level or equal can score 25 points. For a university degree at the master’s level or professional entry-to-practice degree at university level (or equal), the candidate can obtain up to 23 points.

Federal Skilled Trades Program

The Federal Skilled Trades Program is an express entry program that allows applicants to become permanent residents if they are qualified in a specialized trade and meet the minimum requirements. Persons applying for permanent residency through this program must plan to live in Canada but outside of Quebec, as this province has its own Specialized Trade Program. In addition, they must have minimal language skills in English or French and take a test approved by Immigration Canada.

Federal Skilled Trades program minimum requirements

The minimum level of English is CLB 5 for speaking and listening and CLB 4 for reading and writing. The candidate’s test results must be no more than two years old on the day they apply for permanent residency.

Another minimum requirement is work experience. Applicants must have at least two years of experience within the five years prior to application, either part-time, full-time or work experience in more than one job.

In addition, they must meet the job requirements for the specific specialized trade as per the National Occupational Classification. Another important requirement is to have an offer of full-time employment for a total period of at least one year or a certificate of specific trade qualification issued by a Canadian province or territory. An important fact of this program is that the level of schooling is not mandatory; however, it is important to earn points in the Express Entry System.

According to the IRCC, 1,178 candidates were admitted in 2019 through this Program.

Canadian Experience Class (CEC)

The Canadian Experience Class (CEC) is a permanent resident category for candidates with qualified work experience in Canada. The Canadian government has developed this category for foreign graduates with qualified Canadian work experience and temporary foreigners. Applicants applying for permanent residency through the CEC must meet certain minimum requirements.

Canadian Experience Class minimum requirements

Applicants must have at least 12 months of skilled work experience in Canada during the past three years before applying, whether in a full-time or part-time job. An important fact is that professional experience only counts after completing the course. In fact, any work experience while candidates are studying does not count towards them. In addition, work experience must be gained while the applicant has legal temporary resident status as a worker.

Another factor is that candidates must demonstrate language ability. The minimum score for NOC A or 0 jobs is CLB 7 and CLB 5 for NOC B jobs. It is important to mention that NOC 0 are managerial jobs, NOC A are professional jobs and NOC B are technical jobs and specialized professions.

The Canadian Experience Course has some steps and requirements to have a suitable application for permanent residency. Immigration Pros have extensive experience to guide you through this type of application. Call us for consultation.

Provincial Nominee Program

This program is used by provinces and territories in Canada to nominate immigrants who contribute to the province’s economy or territory based on their education, work experience and skills. It is important to mention that each province/territory has its own criteria for the Provincial Candidate Program (PNP).

Provinces and territories can nominate entrepreneurs, skilled or semi-skilled workers and also students. This program is becoming increasingly important for applicants looking to obtain permanent residency in Canada. In fact, 20,014 applicants were admitted in 2019 and obtained permanent residency through this program. Candidates in the Express Entry pool who are nominated from a province can earn 600 points on CRS.

Express application procedure for provincial candidate programs

There are two ways to apply for an Express Entry PNP:

First, a candidate can contact the province or territory and apply for an appointment in the specific province’s express entry stream. After being accepted, the candidate must create an Express Entry profile to accept the nomination.

The second way is to first create an Express Entry profile to show which province or territory the candidate wants to live and work in. Then, wait for a notification of interest from the specific province or territory and sign up for their Express Entry Stream.

Do you qualify for any of the programs listed above? Immigration Professionals can help you with your application!

arriving in canada

Depends on what you consider too cold. Canada is a huge country and temperatures vary a lot depending on where you are, but for Brazilians, the winter here is cold and long.

The important thing is to have appropriate clothes, a good jacket, boots, gloves, hat and scarf and not be afraid to enjoy the good things that winter brings!

And it’s always important to remember that even when it’s freezing on the street, just enter any indoor place and in a few minutes you’ll feel like you’re in a tropical country (Canadians keep the environments very hot during the winter!).

Winter activities are also practiced here, such as skiing, snowboarding, snowmobiling, tobogganing, or simply playing with your friends in the snow, which makes winter very fruitful and fun as well.

The Canadian winter is a cause for concern for many people, there are people who are already starting to suffer and get anxious about it even before arriving in Canada. We have good news, there is no such thing as bad weather, there is inadequate clothing! Okay, some days there are really no clothes to deal with, but they are very rare, last winter we didn’t have any of those.

THE SECRET OF A HAPPY WINTER? WEAR THE RIGHT CLOTHES! We are not talking about being fashionable, but being dressed appropriately for the mood of the moment and for the activity you will be doing. Every place has heating, so if you’re going to leave the house, walk 5 minutes to the subway and then walk 2 minutes from the subway to your classroom, you don’t need to put on 2 pants, now if you walk 20 minutes to your work and it’s -20oC outside, you can be more comfortable if you have 2 layers of clothing on your legs.


WATERPROOF/WATER-RESISTANT HOODED WINTER COAT The coats we have in Brazil are not suitable for the Canadian winter, but any winter coat you buy here will do. The difference is that if you buy a warmer coat (and generally more expensive) you can only wear a t-shirt underneath, while if you buy a cheaper coat on days of intense cold you will have to wear a wool knit for short.

BOOTS No matter how many wool socks you put on your feet, if you’re not wearing a rubber-soled, thermally insulated shoe you’re going to get very cold on your feet. Therefore it is necessary to buy a boot for the winter. It is important that the boot chosen is waterproof, has a rubber sole and has some insulation. Remembering that during the winter there is a lot of salt on the street, and it is extremely corrosive, so if you want to increase the life of your boot, it is important to wash the outside with fresh water whenever you can.

GLOVES Nowadays there are many models that allow you to use your cell phone with gloves. We also recommend always having a pair of cheap Dollarama gloves in your bag or backpack for when you forget your gloves at home, or lose them along the way (yes, that happens more often than you might think).

HAT AND SCARF Protecting your head, ears and neck is extremely important! Also, as you will spend a good few months wearing the same coat, the same shoes, people express their creative and fashion side in hats and scarves.

Finally, DON’T BE AFRAID OF THE COLD ! Walking outdoors during winter is also important to maintain your health, as environments end up having less air circulation and at this time of year people get sicker.

There are many housing options in Canada, for simplicity we will divide between TEMPORARY AND PERMANENT ACCOMMODATION. It is essential to already have temporary accommodation when arriving in Canada. The most common options are HOMESTAY, CASA DE FAMILY, HOSTEL and AIRBNB. How long you stay in temporary accommodation is up to you, but it’s always good to give yourself a few days to explore the city before deciding where you want to live.

IF YOU WANT TO LIVE WITH MORE PEOPLE AND SHARE  an apartment or house KIJIJI , a classifieds site, is a great option, however it is always good to pay attention to the details of the ad and the advertiser before visiting a property. Another option is the BULLETINS BOARDS  of schools and colleges, and GROUPS ON SOCIAL MEDIA .


There are a few options for you to do your shopping for food and cleaning products, or as they say in Canada, GROCERY SHOPPING . If you shop for more than one option, you’ll likely save money at the end of the month.

MAJOR MARKETS like COSTCO and WALMART, are generally located in less central areas, and are more easily accessible by car. Prices are very competitive and if you buy for a whole family, it’s worth it. Costco charges to become a member, but the cost is recouped on the first purchase!

SUPERMARKETS like LOBLAWS , METRO , SOBEYS and WHOLEFOODS , which have everything you need and you will find at least 1 in your neighborhood. The price of the products can vary a lot from market to market, so if you want to save it’s always good to keep an eye on promotions and compare the prices of products in different markets. The couriers deliver weekly newspapers with promotions from the main markets, there are some mobile applications that help you follow promotions, such as Flipp.

CHEAP SUPERMARKETS like NOFRILLS , FOOD BASIC and the BULK BARN , the options in these markets are limited but the price is very low. NoFrills does price matching, that is, if you prove that another store is selling the same product cheaper, they lower the price to match the competitor’s.

FOR FRESH FOOD There are numerous FARMERS MARKET (the most similar to our open markets) and local markets, such as the SAINT LAWRENCE MARKET in Toronto or the GRANVILLE ISLAND PUBLIC MARKET in Vancouver.

SMALL MARKETS NEIGHBORHOOD MARKETS and CONVENIENCE SHOPS (including 24 hours, like Rabba in downtown Toronto) where you can find everything.

Opening a bank account is one of the first things you need to do when you arrive in Canada. Opening an account here is not difficult, and the banks are also open on Saturdays, which can make your life easier.

Canada’s top banks

Bank of Montreal (BMO)

Bank of Nova Scotia (SCOTIABANK)

Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBC)

Royal Bank of Canada (RBC)

Toronto-Dominion Bank (TD)

If you are not Canadian you will need the following documents to open a bank account.

Proof of residence

valid passport

One of these Canadian-issued immigration documents: Study permit, Work permit or Permanent Resident card

It may be that the bank of your choice requires something extra, it’s always good to ask what documents are needed to make sure you have everything you need.

account types

CHECKING ACCOUNT It would be our EQUIVALENT TO CURRENT ACCOUNT , this account is for your day to day transactions, it allows you to make withdrawals and deposits at any time. Normally, the money sitting in your Chequing account has no income. Some banks charge a monthly account maintenance fee, others have special conditions for students, so it’s good to research which bank is right for you!

SAVINGS ACCOUNT It would be the EQUIVALENT OF OUR SAVINGS , the savings account is for you to put the money that you don’t need to use on a daily basis. The money that falls into this account is earning, and the bank passes on the income monthly. The advantage of this application is that you can redeem your money without any complications.

US$ ACCOUNT If you want to keep your reserves in USD, this account type is right for you.

credit card secured

Your first Canadian credit card will be a SECURED CREDIT CARD . As you are a newcomer, you do not have a credit score, that is, the bank cannot tell if you are a responsible person who has control over your finances, so THE BANK RETAINS AN AMOUNT OF MONEY EQUIVALENT TO THE CREDIT THAT IS RELEASED ON YOUR CARD , thus ensuring that there will always be money available for payment.

For example, if you leave $1,000 as collateral, you will have $1,000 credited to your card. Usually after 1 year you can negotiate with the bank so that they return the amount retained as collateral.

There are a few cell phone plan options, and you should research which plan best meets your needs. The plans can be voice and data only, voice and text message, prepaid, with or without a device, in addition to a data-only plan.

The main differences between operators are the available devices and compatibility of device models with the network.

Main operators











You can use your driver’s license in Canada for a short period of time, which may be different in each province.

In Quebec it is possible to drive for up to 6 months with a tourist visa or work permit. If you are studying your Brazilian driver’s license will be accepted for the duration of your course.

In Ontario, for example, this no longer happens, you can drive with your Brazilian driver’s license for up to 60 days.

By law children must attend school, in the vast majority of Canadian provinces it is mandatory to keep children in school from KINDERGARTEN UNTIL COMPLETION OF HIGH SCHOOL (approximately 5 to 17/18 years old).

We would like to remind you that, in general, children (non-Canadian) of people with temporary status (student or worker) need a student visa to study in Canada.

Parents can choose the type of education their children will receive:


To enroll your child in a public school, the first thing to do is CONTACT YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD EDUCATION COUNCIL (LOCAL SCHOOL BOARD) . Normally, the Board of Education controls some schools, and there is often the POSSIBILITY of CHOOSING THE SCHOOL YOUR CHILD WILL STUDY . If you are enrolling your child in Canada for the first time, the school will:


To enroll your child in school you will need to present:


There are some care options for children who are not yet of school age. The day care system is quite different from Brazil, starting with the separation of children, who are divided into 3 different rooms: INFANT: 0-18 MONTHS | TODDLER: 18 MONTHS -2.5 YEARS | PRESCHOOL: 2.5-5 YEARS.

Unlike public schools, DAYCARES ARE PAID , including public daycares. The price varies depending on the room the child will attend and the type of daycare chosen. The daycare options are as follows: PUBLIC DAYCARE | PRIVATE DAYCARE | HOME DAYCARE.

Although the service is paid, PUBLIC DAYCARES HAVE SPOTS THAT MAY BE SUBSIDIZED by the government. THE VALUE OF THE SUBSIDY DEPENDS ON FAMILY INCOME , and can reach 100%.

Daycares have a LARGE WAITING QUEUE FOR PLACES IN THE CHILDREN’S ROOM . Most people put their name on the waiting list as soon as they find out they are expecting a baby. Toddler and preschool places are easier, especially outside the public network.

There are 2 TYPES OF HOME DAYCARE , LICENSED and UNLICENSED . Licensees follow government-imposed rules and regulations to ensure the quality of services and the safety of children.

In Toronto:

Toronto ‘s public transit system is called the TTC (TORONTO TRANSIT COMMISSION) and operates BUS , SUBWAY , TROLLEY and TRANSPORT SERVICE FOR PEOPLE WITH REDUCED MOBILITY . In addition, there is the FERRY service that connects the Toronto Islands, as well as the GO TRANSIT , which is the train and bus system that connects downtown to the suburbs.

Using the TTC is one of the easiest ways to get around Toronto, IN ADDITION TO IT’S CHEAPER THAN A CAR, IT’S FASTER . There are a few pass options:

1 PASS (CASH)$3.25$2.10
1 PASS (TOKEN OR PRESTO)$3.00 (MIN. 3 FOR $9.00)$2.05 (MULTIPLE PASS 5 FOR $10.25)
WEEKLY PASS$43.75$34.75
MONTHLY $146.25$116.75
DAY PASS$12.50

In Montreal:

The metro has four lines, 68 stations and is Canada’s busiest metro system in terms of daily use. The metro is operated by the Société de transport de Montréal (STM). The green line runs east to west, as does the horseshoe-shaped orange line in its busiest section. Both the green and orange lines run through the city center. The blue line runs east to west north of Mount Royal, and the short yellow line serves Longueuil and the South Shore.

The metro runs approximately until 12:30 pm on weekdays and at 1:30 pm on Friday and Saturday nights.

STM tickets are also valid on the extensive bus network serving Montreal’s various boroughs.

faresRegular PriceAge 6-17 and 65+Students 18-25ConditionValidity for 747 Airport bus
1 trip$3.50$2.50regular priceValid the same day as purchase.At the
2 trips$6.50$4.25Regular priceOne single user. Valid the same day as purchase.At the
10 trips$29$16.5Regular priceAt the
1-day pass$10regular priceregular priceUnlimited travel for 24 consecutive hours.yes
group fare$17.50regular priceregular priceOne adult and up to 10 children aged 6-13, valid for two hoursAt the
Unlimited Evening$5.50regular priceregular priceUnlimited travel between 6 pm and 5 am the next morning.At the
unlimited weekend$14regular priceregular priceFrom Friday 4 pm to Monday 5 amyes
3-day pass$19.50regular priceregular priceConsecutive, until 11.59 pm the third day.yes
weekly pass$26.76$16regular priceFrom Monday to Sunday until 11.59 pmyes
monthly$86.50$52$52From first to last day of the month, plus the first day of the next month.yes
4-month passN/A$204$204
Airport Mtl-Trudeau$10regular priceregular pricePurchase at airport / outside Berri-Uqam station / on board (coins only, exact fare)yes

Compared to similar systems in other major cities, Montreal’s public transport is comparatively cheap. Your cost of living in Montreal is unlikely to be greatly affected if you plan your daily commute and work/life balance properly.

Other trains serving the outer suburbs are operated by the Agence métropolitane de transport (AMT) and have different prices than STM services.

Ontario driver’s license

Getting a DRIVER’S LICENSE IN CANADA IS A LITTLE DIFFERENT THAN IN BRAZIL, there are 3 categories of license for a passenger vehicle driver (category G): G1, G2 and G. The legislation is different in each province, but IN ONTARIO TO DRIVE YOU MUST BE AT LEAST 16 YEARS OLD AND HAVE A DRIVING LICENSE.

G1: IT’S THE FIRST LEVEL OF LICENSE you just need to pass the theory test on laws and signage to get this license. However, with the G1 you can ONLY DRIVE WITH A PERSON WHO HAS A GE LICENSE AT LEAST 4 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE. There are many conditions attached to this license, for example you are not allowed to drive on roads.

G2: THIS IS THE SECOND QUALIFICATION LEVEL that is reached when after at least 12 months with the G1 you pass the practical test. You can now drive everywhere and don’t need to be accompanied. However, there are still restrictions that you need to respect, such as having no blood alcohol level.


G: THE DEFINITIVE LICENSE After at least 12 months with the G2 you can take the test to get the G driver’s license. With the G license you can drive any car, van or small truck. THE G DRIVER’S LICENSE IS EQUIVALENT TO THE BRAZILIAN DRIVING LICENSE .

If you already have a driver’s license, you can USE YOUR EXPERIENCE IN BRAZIL TO GET AG DRIVER’S LICENSE WITHOUT HAVING TO GO THROUGH THIS WHOLE PROCESS . You need to request a document at the Brazilian Consulate attesting to your experience as a driver. For that you will need:


When you receive this document, you PRESENT IT ON THE SAME DAY YOU TAKE THE THEORETICAL TEST, if you pass the test you will automatically receive the G1 card and you can schedule the test for the G card.

The healthcare system in Canada is quite different from the Brazilian one. If you have the need to go to a doctor, you will go to a FAMILY DOCTOR (GENERAL CLINIC) . If he thinks you need to go see a specialist, he will refer you to one. It is not possible to go directly to a specialist without the prior indication of a family doctor.

It is not always possible to get a family doctor, but there are numerous clinics that accept new patients, the so-called WALK-IN CLINICS . Walk-in Clinics serve patients who do not have a family doctor or who for some reason have not been able to get care for them.

Family doctors may order tests and recommend that you visit a specialist. If you take CONTROLLED MEDICATION , or see a SPECIALIST you should go to a GP as soon as possible to get a local prescription for your medication and schedule an appointment with the specialist.

Who is entitled to public health in Canada?

  • All Canadian Citizens
  • permanent residents
  • Temporary residents (holders of a work permit for more than 6 months)

The exception is newly arrived immigrants, international students and visitors who must pay for their medical expenses themselves. Dental care is not part of the public health system in Canada.

Canada is a wonderful country to study and live in. It is friendly, safe, calm, and has a high standard of living. We love it all here…and you will too! An important part of what you do CANADA SUCH INCREDIBLE COUNTRY IS CANADIAN CULTURE AND VALUES, AND IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO AGREE TO THE RULES. Here are a few points that stand out to us the most:

Be polite, PLEASE, THANK YOU, SORRY are words you will use more than you think. When in doubt, be excessive, being over-educated is always better than being rude.

Canadian society is very INCLUSIVE AND CANADIANS RESPECT DIFFERENCES in culture, ethnicity, religion, physical or mental disability, and sexual orientation.

Canada is made up of immigrants, so if you want to know where someone comes from, instead of asking where they come from, ask WHAT IS YOUR FAMILY BACKGROUND? (What is your family origin).

IT IS NOT USUAL TO HAGGLE or negotiate prices, in addition, in Canada there is no installment plan as in Brazil. It is important to note that the published prices do not contain tax, which in Ontario is 13%.

IT IS EXPECTED TO TIP in restaurants, bars, hairdressers, and others, it is expected to tip between 15-25%. It is important to remember that prices in bars and restaurants are not taxed or tipped, so if you eat a $10.00 hamburger you will pay $13.56 (13% tax + 20% tip).

Still having doubts?

Subscribe to our newsletter and receive first-hand weekly immigration newsletters, tips and everything you need to know about study, career and family in Canada.

garota morena apontando para cima
Subscribe Ruiva
Information 1

desculpe-nos :(

Sessão indisponível no momento, tente mais tarde.